Black Cube is a freeware game of logic and deduction for Mac OS X. Fire rays into a cube and deduce where the hidden pockets of dark matter are, based on where the rays emerge. Extends classic “black box” gameplay into the 3rd dimension.
- Warm up by playing the classic 2D rules
- Strain your brain with the new 3D rules
Black Cube won 2nd place in the category of Originality in uDevGames 2002 run by iDevGames. It was developed in 3 months as required by the rules of the contest. Please visit their site for more information.
| Click here for PowerPC Binary
(208 K, disk image)
| Click here for Intel Binary
(164 K, disk image)
Hints and Tips
The game includes a tutorial that will teach you the controls and the rules of the game. Simply run the game and click on “How to Play”.
Also, the Readme file included with the game has a handy reference to all the controls, plus some helpful hints.
This is not an easy game! Look at the board from many different angles, and take your time examining each guess to see if it makes sense or can be eliminated.
Latest Black Cube News
- MindTheCube Games and Mac OS X 10.15 February 9, 2020Sadly, I have had to update the pages for my Mac OS X games to show that they no longer work after Mac OS X 10.14 “Mojave”. This is because Apple removed support for 32-bit programs from OS X 10.15 “Catalina”, released late 2019. (An event affectionately referred to as the App-ocalypse.) I may try to ...
- Intel Build of Black Cube May 30, 2010An Intel-native build of Black Cube has been released. This allows owners of Intel-based Macs to run the game more efficiently, and fixes a problem that could cause sounds not to play.
- Black Cube Postmortem Available Once More March 3, 2010The postmortem of my 2002 game Black Cube has been restored to the iDevGames website.
- Black Cube version 1.0.2 released January 18, 2003Black Cube version 1.0.2 has been released.
- Black Cube post-mortem at iDevGames December 7, 2002My post-mortem of Black Cube, an analysis of what went right and wrong during its development, is now up at iDevGames.