Word Search… and Destroy! Swap letters to build words, then cross out words to remove them from the board. You must plan ahead to build longer words with the fewest swaps. If you’re really clever you can clear the board.
For a fast-paced challenge try the Beat the Clock mode! Letter swaps won’t cost you any points but you only have 12 seconds to cross out each valid word.
(This originally was a uDevGames 2004 contest entry. Visit the uDevGames website
for more information.)
||Click here for PowerPC Binary
(version 1.1.8; 6.3 MB)
||Click here for Intel Binary
(version 1.1.9; 6.4 MB)
Hints and Tips
The game includes details about the rules of the game. Simply run the game and click on “How to Play”.
Also, the Readme file included with the game has lots of details about how to play and how the scoring works.
Here’s a strategy for Beat the Clock: quickly build a short word to be safe, but before crossing it out spend a few seconds working on a larger word somewhere else on the board. In this way you can gradually build longer words or use up tricky letters like X or Q.
Latest WordBeGone News
- Intel Build of WordBeGone June 8, 2010 I just put up an Intel-native build of my 2004 game WordBeGone. This allows owners of Intel-based Macs to run the game more efficiently.
- WordBeGone patched to 1.1.8 May 28, 2005 Page edges sometimes seemed to disappear on a GeForce 5200 under OS X Tiger. Improved them a little.
- WordBeGone Version 1.1.7 December 15, 2004 Fixed music volume control.
- WordBeGone version 1.1.6 November 17, 2004 Words above 9 letters now recognized. New “straight line” option for word selection for players who didn’t like free-form scribbling. Increased maximum board-clearing bonus from 1000 to 2000 points. Freeform word crossing out (the default) has been tweaked so that rapid mouse movement on slow CPUs doesn’t confuse it.
- WordBeGone version 1.1.3, 1.1.4 November 10, 2004 Toggle full screen/windowed works and the playing area is correctly centered. No more full-screen white flash on startup. Added numeric timer display. Updated scoring rules in Readme. Other minor tweaks.